This warm Fall cookie is made (and shared with class participants) in this beautiful kitchen at Silver Dollar City’s Culinary & Craft Center.
Recipe courtesy of Silver Dollar City’s Culinary & Craft School.
See related stories and recipes:
Branson Theme Park Opens Culinary Center
Culinary Classes Meet You Where You Are
Midwest Living Senior Food Editor Tastes it All
An Interview with the Designer
The Culinary Class Experience
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves
- 3/4 cup Shortening
- 2 tablespoons Molasses
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 cup lard or your favorite oil
- 1 In mixing bowl sift flour, soda, spices, and salt.
- 2 In a second mixing bowl cream shortening and 1 cup of sugar until fluffy. Add the molasses and egg. Beat the mixture for one minute. Add the flour mixture and mix low speed until combined.
- 3 Shape the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls then roll in a small plate with remaining sugar. Arrange the balls of dough 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 4 Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes or until light brown on bottom. Transfer to cooling rack.