The smoothness of vodka pairs well with the bite of tomato juice and spicy horseradish. The Bloody Mary has become an almost indispensable brunch (and Super Bowl) companion.
- 1 can (46 fluid ounces) good-quality tomato juice
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Ice cubes as needed
- 3/4 to 1 cup vodka
- 6 to 8 celery stalks
- 6 to 8 lemon slices (optional)
- 1 In a large pitcher, stir together the tomato and orange juices, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, lemon juice, hot-pepper sauce and celery salt. Cover and refrigerate until will chilled.
- 2 To serve, fill large glasses with ice cubes. Pour 1 shot (1 to 1 1/2 fluid ounces) vodka over the ice in each glass. Add 3/4 to 1 cup of the tomato juice mixture. Use a celery stalk to stir each beverage, leaving it in the glass as a garnish. Garnish the rim of each glass with a lemon slice.
- 3 Serves 6 to 8.