This tasty grilled shrimp dish is great anytime, but is especially welcome in this, the year of Mexico’s dual anniversaries. September 16, 2010, is the bicentennial of Mexico’s Independence Day and November 20 is the centennial of the Mexican Revolution.
Why Try? Get the Mexican Independence Day festivities started with spicy tequila lime grilled shrimp!
- 1/2 cup Tequila
- 2 pound large shrimp, tail-on, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium-size red onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- Fresh lime wedges
- 1 Combine tequila, lime juice, olive oil, red onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin and salt in a nonreactive stainless bowl or glass bowl and stir to blend.
- 2 Add shrimp and marinate for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- 3 Remove shrimp from marinade and drain. Discard marinade.
- 4 Thread 3 to 4 shrimp on each skewer. Grill over medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp are opaque.
- 5 Serve shrimp skewers with fresh lime wedges.