When you’re craving a traditional smothered steak, here’s your recipe. Pair it with mashed potatoes and green beans for a complete comfort food meal.
This recipe courtesy of http://www.recipegoldmine.com and Texas Beef Council.
- 2 pounds round steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 In skillet, or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion until translucent; remove and set aside.
- 2 In same skillet, saute round steak until browned.
- 3 Meanwhile, stir together mushroom soup, onion soup mix, beef broth and 1 cup water until blended; add onion and pour over browned meat. Reduce heat, cover with tight fitting lid, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until beef is fork tender, or for Dutch oven, cover and cook in preheated 350°F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.