Wow the “kids table” with these roast turkey and cheese sliders with-a-twist! We added the craveable flavor of gooey-on-the-inside, crispy-on-the-outside mac & cheese bites to our mini sliders for added fun. These bite-size morsels of deliciousness are made ahead with our simple mac & cheese recipe and can even be breaded and refrigerated the day before for easy prep. This recipe makes 16 mac & cheese bites; make some for the kids table and save the rest as a delicious game time snack the whole family can enjoy over the holiday weekend.
This is part of our Thanksgiving Kids’ Table series for the holiday, so click here to see more.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces queso blanco cheese
- 2 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni (4 cups cooked macaroni)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Japanese bread crumbs
- As needed, vegetable oil for frying
- 8 mini slider rolls, sliced for sandwiches
- 8 slices roast turkey, warm
- 1 Combine heavy cream, queso blanco cheese and shredded Cheddar in a heavy saucepan; heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is completely melted.
- 2 Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- 3 Add warm cheese sauce to cooked macaroni and stir until blended. Cover and chill overnight or until completely chilled.
- 4 Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, shape chilled mac & cheese into meatball-sized balls; press into pattie-shaped bites.
- 5 Dust each lightly with flour; shake excess. Dredge each in egg mixture; drain excess. Roll each in breadcrumbs; shake excess. (Mac & cheese bites can be made ahead and refrigerated up to this step.)
- 6 To prepare mac & cheese bites: heat oil in deep fryer or deep heavy saucepan to 350°F or until oil is shimmering. Working in several smaller batches, carefully add breaded bites to oil and deep fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining mac & cheese bites.
- 7 To prepare sliders: layer 1 slice turkey and 1 warm mac & cheese bite on bottom half of each slider roll; close each with top half of roll and press lightly to secure.