From the Pillsbury Bake-Off®. Contest’s youngest contestant, Alison Strunk. This appetizer offers great gourmet appeal with its smoky bacon, smooth and tangy goat cheese, sweet red peppers and buttery, flaky crescent dough providing a great balance of flavors.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 15 to 18 minutes.
See our interview with one of the Top 100 finalists, Alison Struck, by clicking here.
See the Pillsbury press release by clicking here.
1 Serving: Calories 60 (Calories from Fat 35); Total Fat 4g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 140mg; Total Carbohydrate 4g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g); Protein 2g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 0
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
®CRISCO is a trademark of The J.M. Smucker Company
Bake-Off is a registered trademark of General Mills
- 8 slices uncooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon CRISCO® 100% Extra Virgin or Pure Olive Oil
- 1 cup diced sweet yellow onion (such as Maui or Walla Walla)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat (chèvre) cheese (3 oz)
- 2 oz cream cheese (from 3-oz package), softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated reduced-fat or regular crescent dinner rolls (8 rolls)
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray large cookie sheet with CRISCO® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray, or line with cooking parchment paper.
- 2 In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp. Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- 3 Discard bacon drippings. Add oil to skillet; heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and bell pepper; cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and tender. Stir in salt and pepper. Place mixture in food processor bowl with metal blade. Cover; process until smooth. Or blend in blender on medium speed about 30 seconds, stopping once to scrape sides, until smooth.
- 4 In small bowl, mix goat cheese, cream cheese and parsley until smooth.
- 5 Unroll dough; separate into 4 rectangles. Press perforations to seal. Cut each rectangle into 8 (1 1/2-inch) squares. Place squares on cookie sheet. Spoon rounded 1 teaspoon red pepper mixture on each square, spreading slightly. Spoon slightly less than 1 teaspoon cheese mixture on pepper mixture on each square. Top each with about 1/4 teaspoon crumbled bacon.
- 6 Bake 15 to 22 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Serve warm, or refrigerate and serve chilled.