Kids LOVE Macaroni and Cheese and we have discovered that kids prefer this recipe to be bright yellow and without the breadcrumbs, like the
ones found in boxes of your local grocery stores!
- 1 pound/450g gluten free pasta
- 8 ounce/225g casein free vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon/5ml lemon juice (to loosen cream cheese)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon/15ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon/15ml gluten free flour
- 2 cups/450ml vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup/225ml casein free vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon/5ml turmeric (optional for the yellow colour kids love)
- 1 teaspoon/5ml oregano
- 1 Preheat oven to 350F/176C/GasMark4.
- 2 To prepare pasta, bring large pot of water to boil, generously seasoned with salt.
- 3 Add pasta, stir, cover pot and turn off heat. Let pasta sit for 10 minutes.
- 4 Drain pasta and rinse thoroughly with cool water.
- 5 Spread pasta on cookie sheet to dry excess water if desired while making the sauce.
- 6 Vigorously mix “cream cheese” with lemon juice.
- 7 Soften garlic in medium sauce pan with olive oil.
- 8 Add flour, mix and cook 1-2 minutes to remove raw flavour.
- 9 Whisk in stock until combined.
- 10 Add “cream cheese” and mix thoroughly.
- 11 Add shredded cheese, stirring until cheese is melted (5-7 minutes).
- 12 Season with salt, pepper and oregano (tumeric, if desired).
- 13 Combine with cooked drained pasta.
- 14 Pour into well oiled baking dish.
- 15 Top with crispy rice crumbs if you want.
- 16 Bake for 20 minutes.
- 17 Dish can be frozen before baking.
- 18 Thaw in refrigerator and bake as directed, or bake 40-50 minutes out of freezer.