Executive Corporate Chef Gail Cunningham has been part of our Food Channel team for many years, keeping us apprised of food trends and creating some of our most innovative dishes in the culinary kitchens.
One of our most popular recipes of all time is her Chocolate Pecan Brownies. Until know, she’s rarely shared her “secret ingredient” to boost the overall richness of the chocolate flavor. But today, you’re getting her recipe, secret ingredient and all.
As with many chef secrets, you’ll find it’s not always an exotic solution—it’s understanding how to add every-day ingredients to accentuate specific flavors. Enjoy Chef Gail’s Chocolate Pecan Brownies!
According to Chef, “These irresistible homemade Chocolate Pecan Brownies will fill the house with the aroma of rich chocolate as they bake. They’re a great way to keep the family around after dinner, too. Be sure to include the ‘secret ingredient.'”
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 5 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- As needed no-stick cooking spray
- As needed flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
The Secret Ingredient
- 1 handful good-quality dark chocolate chips
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Combine butter and chocolate squares in small skillet or heavy saucepan and heat over low heat until melted. Set aside to cool.
- 3 Spray a 9-inch x 12-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
- 4 Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in mixing bowl; beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- 5 Add cooled chocolate mixture to mixing bowl; whisk by-hand until blended.
- 6 Add flour to mixing bowl; whisk by-hand until blended.
- 7 Add nuts and "secret ingredient" to mixing bowl; whisk by-hand until blended.
- 8 Using a rubber spatula, pour batter into baking pan; spread evenly and bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Cool.
- 9 Cut into 16 rectangle-shaped pieces and serve.