This one will have your hand in the cookie jar time and time again!
It’s a delicious and buttery-flavored cookie with enough peppermint to remind you it’s Christmas, and just enough chocolate to satisfy your sweet tooth for sure. Plus, with only half of the cookie dipped, you can avoid leaving telltale fingerprints behind.
You can use parchment paper to help shape your log—just roll it out by hand, wrap in parchment, and roll again. The parchment will help shape it and hold it in place.
This recipe is part of our 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Jars series for the 2017 holiday season. To see more fun and festive Christmas cookie recipes, click here!
- 1 cup butter-flavored Crisco shortening (solid)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups peppermint crunch baking chips
For the Chocolate Dip
- 1/2 teaspoon mint flavoring
- 1 tablespoon liquid shortening
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2 Cream shortening, sugar, and brown sugar.
- 3 Add eggs and vanilla.
- 4 Mix in flour, salt, and baking soda and mix lightly.
- 5 Stir in baking chips before dough forms; mix all together until dough is packed.
- 6 Shape in to a log, cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight (or several hours).
- 7 When ready to use, slice log into about 1/4 –inch slices. Any smaller may make them crumble.
- 8 Place on parchment paper on baking sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes. Bottoms will be brown - do not judge by the top of the cookie!
- 9 Cool thoroughly.
- 10 In the meantime, using a microwave, melt chocolate chips with liquid shortening and mint flavoring. Use bursts of no more than 30 seconds, stirring well in between (3 bursts should do it). Dipped cooled cookies in the chocolate and lay back out on parchment paper to harden.