Shortbread is on-trend and in-season, so spice it up a bit with a hint of chocolate, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg!
Trust us though, this needs a big glass of milk for maximum enjoyment—so be prepared to pour. That’s why we paired with our little snowball cookie jar and our BIG pitcher, so you’ll remember to put some milk out for Santa, too.
This recipe is part of our 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Jars series for the 2017 holiday season. To see more fun and festive Christmas cookie recipes, click here!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Preheat oven to 325°F
- 2 Cream butter and add remaining ingredients
- 3 Batter should be a heavy dough – if too thin, add up to another ½ cup flour
- 4 Chill dough for several hours or overnight, covered
- 5 Using a melon baller or your hands, scoop out and shape into balls
- 6 Place balls on parchment paper on cookie sheet
- 7 Flatten each ball with the tines of a fork, similar to traditional peanut butter cookies
- 8 Bake 18 minutes