What could be better than homemade hot-from-the-oven caramel corn? Chocolate covered caramel corn! This delicious recipe includes all the steps to make both variations.
Why Try? Homemade Chocolate Popcorn Munch at a fraction of the price you’d pay at the gourmet food store!
- 16 cups popcorn (fresh popped popcorn works
- 4 cups dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Preheat oven to 250°F.
- 2 Combine corn syrup, butter and brown sugar in saucepan; simmer over medium low heat to syrup consistency.
- 3 Bring to a slow boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- 4 Remove from heat; stir in baking soda, salt and vanilla.
- 5 Pour over popcorn and toss to evenly coat.
- 6 Transfer to greased cookie sheets and bake uncovered for 1 hour; stirring several times during baking.
- 7 Transfer caramel corn to large bowl and cool; breaking up clumps.
- 8 To prepare chocolate covered popcorn: Reserve 8 cups caramel corn (1/2 batch).
- 9 Working in small batches, portion 1 cup chocolate chips into microwaveable measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds, stir, microwave an additional 20 seconds and stir until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- 10 Combine melted chocolate with 2 cups caramel corn and stir to evenly coat; using tongs or fork, transfer chocolate covered popcorn pieces to cookie sheet lined with wax paper and cool.
- 11 Repeat steps 9 and 10 with remaining chocolate chips and caramel popcorn.
- 12 Cool until chocolate has hardened. Transfer to serving bowls or decorative containers.