Imagine warm Café du Monde-style beignets topped with a mountain of delicate powdered sugar and rich French roast coffee, right in your own home. Now imagine those wonderful flavors paired together in a delicious ice cream sandwich!
Makes 6 dozen
See our article, the 5 Best Mardi Gras Street Eats (to Make at Home), for more great recipes to celebrate the day!
- For Beignets:
- 1 (1/4 oz.) packet active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water (about 110°F)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For Beignet Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- Sifted powdered sugar, as needed
- French roast coffee ice cream scoops, as needed
- 1 For Beignets:
- 2 In bowl of heavy-duty stand mixer, completely dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 3 Add evaporated milk, sugar, eggs and salt; beat on low speed until fully blended.
- 4 Add 4 cups flour; beat on low speed until smooth. Add shortening and beat until fully blended. Add remaining 3 cups of flour and beat on low speed until a sticky dough forms.
- 5 Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight (up to 24 hours).
- 6 On a floured surface, roll out dough ¼-inch thick. Cut into 2½ inch squares.
- 7 Heat oil in a heavy Dutch oven or home deep fryer to 360°. Working in small batches, gently lower dough into oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain.
- 8 Generously dust in powdered sugar.
- 9 For Beignet Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- 10 Slice each beignet in half for sandwiches; place 1 scoop coffee ice cream in each beignet. Dust with powdered sugar.