The ultimate po’boy! This indulgent sandwich features rich juicy oysters deep fried golden and delicious piled in soft warm French rolls with creamy Remoulade sauce and crisp lettuce served with fresh lemon wedges and a shake of Crystal Hot Sauce.
See our article, the 5 Best Mardi Gras Street Eats (to Make at Home), for more great recipes to celebrate the day!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce (such as Crystal Hot Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning blend
- 2 dozen shucked oysters
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 (6-inch) soft French rolls, warm
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 4 fresh lemon wedges
- Crystal Hot Sauce
- 1 Combine mayonnaise, green onions, cayenne pepper sauce, Creole mustard and lemon pepper seasoning in bowl and whisk to blend.
- 2 Soak oysters in 1 cup milk for 15 minutes; drain.
- 3 Combine eggs, water and cayenne pepper in shallow bowl and whisk to blend.
- 4 Combine flour, cornmeal, salt and black pepper in shallow bowl and stir to blend.
- 5 Working in several small batches, dip oysters in egg mixture and shake excess; dredge in flour mixture and shake excess.
- 6 Heat oil in a heavy Dutch oven or deep fryer to 360°F. Working in several smaller batches, deep fry oysters for 3 minutes or until golden. Drain well. Repeat with remaining oysters.
- 7 To assemble po’boys: spread Remoulade evenly over French rolls. Arrange oysters on bottom half of each roll; top with shredded lettuce. Serve with additional Remoulade sauce, lemon wedges and hot sauce.