Recipe and photo courtesy of celebrity chef Nick Stellino, who is celebrating the 25th anniversary of his hit TV show Storyteller in The Kitchen.
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Nick’s Magic Rub (1 tablespoon C&H Golden Brown Sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon pepper, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon onion powder).
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup cucumbers finely diced (preferably Persian cucumbers if available)
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced green onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white or red onions
- 1/2 cup water or spicy tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced (optional)
- Serve topped with finely chopped chives.
- 1 Place the tomatoes in a blender and process to a smooth consistency.
- 2 In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes with the additional ingredients and stir well to incorporate all flavors.
- 3 Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.