Around our house, the first cold weekend morning of fall calls for the comforting flavors of made-from-scratch baking powder biscuits and a delicious and hearty sausage gravy.
So, treat yourself and your family on your next chilly morning together by making this classic Grandma’s Biscuit and Gravy recipe, it’s sure to warm you up!
For the Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shortening (butter, lard or vegetable shortening)
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
For the Sausage Gravy
- 1 pound breakfast pork sausage
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1 Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2 In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture has a crumbly texture. Add milk and mix into a dough, adding flour as needed until dough pulls away from side of bowl.
- 3 On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat dough ¾-inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits, place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- 4 To make gravy: pan fry breakfast sausage until fully cooked, breaking up large pieces. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cooked sausage to bowl. Add flour to pan dripping and whisk until golden. Slowly add milk and whisk over low heat until thickened. Add reserved sausage and stir to blend. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- 5 Serve split biscuits topped with gravy.