A vegetarian and crustless pizza filled with tangy, creamy Chevre, prepared spinach and artichoke dip, and seasoned with fresh thyme, all atop earthy Portobello mushrooms.
Why Try? Who knew you could make a pizza without pizza dough, let alone on the grill? Well, you can, and it’s a delicious way to enjoy warm weather outside by the grill!
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 1/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1 8-ounce package frozen spinach and artichoke dip, thawed
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces goat cheese, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 Preheat grill to medium high heat (about 400°F)
- 2 Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onion slices in one tablespoon oil on medium-high heat until well caramelized and very tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- 3 Brush mushroom caps with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill stem-side down for about 5 minutes. Take off heat.
- 4 Divide spinach artichoke dip equally among the four mushroom caps. Spread dip on grilled side of mushrooms. Top with caramelized onions, a couple slices of goat cheese, 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, and a sprinkle of thyme leaves.
- 5 Put mushrooms back on grill and close lid so that the toppings heat and melt. Grill for about 10 minutes or until cheeses are melted and golden.