Hand pies are part of our 2014 Dessert Trends. This multi-berry pie is a mini dessert that you can pick up and eat, almost like a sandwich. Hand pies are sealed on all sides and usually hold a fruit mixture, but expect to find them filled with just about anything this year. Some are fried, but there are new kitchen gadgets that allow you to make them like waffles, or simply bake them like turnovers. We made ours using simple refrigerator dough and pie filling–so quick and delicious!
- Prepared, refrigerated pie crust (or your favorite recipe)
- 1 can pie filling, any flavor, or frozen mixed berries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Preheat oven.
- 2 Roll crust out and cut into ovals or triangles, laying them flat. Alternatively, fill small pie plates with unbaked crust.
- 3 Combine the filling with sugar, stirring well.
- 4 Spread 2-3 tablespoons of fruit mixture on top; more if using a pie plate.
- 5 Fold over and seal dough, using fingers or a fork. If using a pie plate, create a top crust and seal the edges.
- 6 Bake according to package directions, cutting time in about half depending on size of hand pies.