This salad recipe combines sweet, tart and savory flavor profiles, making it an ideal dish to enjoy the autumn season. Fresh apples, pomegranate, and citrus offset the crisp fennel and tangy goat cheese.
By massaging the raw kale with sea salt, it both changes the color to a deep evergreen, and changes the texture and flavor, by reducing toughness and bitterness.
For a complete look at our 2017 Thanksgiving Recipe series, click the links below to create your entire Thanksgiving meal:
- 1 large bunch curly kale
- 1 Honeycrisp apple
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
To Prepare the Kale:
- 1 Remove ribs using a chef’s knife, and discard. Tear leaves into small, bite-sized pieces, and transfer to a large bowl for mixing. Add a generous pinch of sea salt to kale and lightly massage the leaves until they become softened, and appear darker in color.
- 2 Chop the apple into small, bite-sized pieces. Using a chef’s knife or mandolin, thinly slice the fennel, and add both to the mixing bowl. Crumble the goat cheese with a fork, and sprinkle both it and the pomegranate seeds over the other ingredients.
For the Dressing
- 1 Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl, and whisk until blended.
- 1 Starting with a small amount, lightly pour dressing over salad, and toss ingredients. Keep remaining dressing for leftovers. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.