Made just for 2, this isn’t your grandmother’s egg salad. It includes a homemade mayonnaise that brings the sandwich together in a handcrafted and unique way. The egg salad shines with flavor influences from chives, fennel and lemon zest, served on toasted country-style bread. Enjoy!
Shared with permission from the Cambria Style 2018 Summer Issue, on stands now. Written by Amanda Lecky with photography by Steve Henke.
Pairing recommendation, courtesy of Leslee Miller, Certified Sommelier of Amusée: De Wetshof Limestone Hill Chardonnay. “With eggs, I love a lightly oaked or unoaked chardonnay. Try this South African wine: the fresh apple, peach, and lemon notes add a little zip.”
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch plus enough for seasoning to taste kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- To taste freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- Pinch and enough for seasoning to taste kosher salt
- To taste black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved thin
- 3 tablespoons fennel fronds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 slices country-style bread, toasted, or focaccia
- For drizzling olive oil
- 1 Combine egg yolk, mustard, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- 2 Combine olive and vegetable oils in a measuring glass and pour into yolk mixture, drop-by-drop at first, then in a slow, steady stream as mixture stiffens, until all oil has been added.
- 3 Whisk in apple cider vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 1 Gently lower eggs into a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, and cook, maintaining an active simmer, 9 minutes.
- 2 Immediately transfer eggs with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water and stir until cool enough to handle, about 1 minute. Drain, pat dry, and peel eggs.
- 3 Chop eggs and add to mayonnaise. Gently fold just to coat; season with salt and pepper.
- 4 Add chives, shaved fennel, fennel fronds, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- 5 Place arugula on bread, drizzle with olive oil, spoon egg salad on top.