Every Christmas tree is topped with a star—and they’re all different. These uniquely patterned lemon cookies feature a hard lemon glaze and powdered sugar both of which contribute to the overall appearance.
Like a string of lights in the distance, the yellow zigzags dance across the surface of these giant lemon stars.
This recipe is part of our 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Jars series for the 2017 holiday season. To see more fun and festive Christmas cookie recipes, click here!
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Yellow food coloring
- 4 tablespoons warm water
For the cookies:
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Mix vanilla, brown sugar, lemon zest and butter together.
- 3 Add in eggs and blend well. Gradually add dry ingredients.
- 4 Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 9 to 11 mintues.
- 5 Once cooled, sprinkle unevenly with powdered sugar.
For the frosting:
- 1 Combine frosting ingredients and add yellow food coloring to desired color, frosting will be runny.
- 2 Pour frosting in a bag and puncture a hole in the bottom, or simply use the backside of a spoon to drizzle icing across the top of the cookie, the powdered sugar will separate and divide the icing into unique patterns.