A Lemon-Braised Lamb Shank served over a deliciously creamy bed of Lemon-Spinach Fettuccini. This Spring-inspired dinner is bursting with fresh flavors that the entire family will enjoy.
Recipe and image provided by the American Lamb Board.
For the Lamb Shanks
- 4 American Lamb Hind Shanks (approximately 3 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 1/3 cup garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon thyme leaves (or regular thyme)
- 1 teaspoon toasted, crushed cumin seeds
- 1 1/4 cups Riesling wine
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups Lemon-Spinach Fettuccini (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
For the Lemon-Spinach Fettuccini
- 1 quart cooked fettuccini (8 ounces dry)
- 1 quart raw baby spinach or arugula
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon olive oil or plain olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 In a large, heavy, deep lidded pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; add shanks in batches and brown on all sides. Remove shanks; hold.
- 2 n batches and brown on all sides. Remove shanks; hold. Add onions and garlic to pan; continue to cook, stirring often, until slightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Mix in thyme and cumin; continue cooking 2 minutes.
- 3 Add wine and bring to a boil; reduce mixture by half. Stir in stock, lemon juice, and pepper; bring to a boil. Return browned shanks to pot in an even layer; cover and simmer over very low heat 3 hours or until very tender.
- 4 Remove shanks from braising liquid; place in covered dish in an even layer and refrigerate.
- 5 Chill pot with braising liquid. Remove a layer of fat from top of cooking liquid and discard. Return pot with braising liquid to the stove top and bring to a boil; reduce mixture by half.
- 6 In a bowl, toss together hot fettuccini, spinach, oil, lemon zest and pepper until mixed. Cover; keep warm.
- 7 In the bottom of a large soup plate, mound 1 cup of Lemon-Spinach Fettuccini and top with 1 hot lamb shank. Ladle 1/2 cup braising liquid over top and sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon chives.