Linzer Cherry Cookies are a little sweet, a little sour, and perfect for Valentine’s Day or anytime you need a pick me up. See our complete series of recipes in our Baking Date for Valentine’s Day story.
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup cherry jam
- Powdered sugar
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Beat butter and medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1 cup powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- 3 Combine flour and the next five ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.
- 4 Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- 5 Roll each portion to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut with a 3-inch star-shaped cutter. Cut centers out of half of cookies with a 1 1/2-inch star-shaped cutter. Place all stars on lightly greased baking sheets.
- 6 Bake for 15 minutes; cool on wire racks.
- 7 Spread solid cookies with cherry jam; sprinkle remaining stars with powdered sugar.
- 8 Top each solid cookie with a hollow star.