For a striking and flavorful side dish this holiday season, try our Pickled Autumn Vegetables, straight from the Food Channel Culinary Center. Preserve your own autumn vegetables with this quick pickle recipe.
We used organic red carrots, orange baby beets and fresh brussels sprouts for our creation. Get creative with your own autumn pickled vegetable medley such as cauliflower florets, green beans and baby carrots and enjoy the bounty of the season.
To learn how to blanch, check out our Kitchen Lingo episode here!
Find our full Traditional Holiday Meal with all twelve recipes at this link.
- 1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed, peeled, halved
- 1 bunch baby beets, trimmed, peeled
- 8 oz. brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
- 1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (for garnish)
- 1 Blanch each vegetable separately in boiling water just until tender crisp; plunge into ice water to cool and drain. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- 2 Combine vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic in large nonreactive sauce pan.
- 3 Simmer over medium-low heat until sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- 4 Add blanched vegetables to vinegar mixture and stir to blend.
- 5 Allow mixture to cool, stirring occasionally to submerge all vegetables equally.
- 6 Transfer to mason jars or a large bowl, cover and refrigerate.