These Pizza Mummy Sticks help keep things under wraps! Serve these spooky and delicious pizza mummy sticks, complete with a homemade spicy marinara sauce, for a fun and spooky Halloween treat.
In addition, you can make these Pizza Mummy Sticks ahead of and simply heat and serve when needed.
Click below to find more spooky Halloween recipes:
For the Mummies
- 1 (12oz.) package mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 1 (8oz.) can refrigerated crescent dough sheet
- Flour for dusting, as needed
- 1 (5oz.) package mini pepperoni slices
- 1 egg, beaten (for wash)
- 1 tablespoon water (for wash)
- Black sesame seeds (for eyes)
For the Spicy Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, fine diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 oz. can) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
For Pizza Mummy Sticks
- 1 Freeze cheese sticks for 45 minutes, prior to beginning recipe.
- 2 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3 Dust a smooth surface with flour. Unroll dough and slice into 24 long thin strips using pizza cutter.
- 4 Cut a two-inch-long slit into each cheese stick, and insert 5 to 6 mini pepperoni slices in each.
- 5 Using the sliced dough, carefully wrap each cheese stick, alternating direction for a layered look.
- 6 Position the wrapped sticks on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, at least one inch apart.
- 7 Combine egg and water and whisk to blend: brush mummies lightly with egg wash. Place two black sesame seed eyes on each for effect. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
For Spicy Marinara Sauce:
- 1 Heat olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until translucent.
- 2 Add tomatoes; cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often, then add tomato paste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Add remaining ingredients; simmer for 5 to 7 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve mummies with spicy marinara sauce for dipping.