Impress the brunch crowd with something new this weekend – Savory Dutch Baby Pancakes with Ham, Egg and Cheese.
These savory Dutch pancakes puff up golden and eggy just like the traditional sweet Dutch babies; however, these are filled with all of your favorite savory flavors like fresh herbs, ham, eggs, and cheese.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large eggs, cooked sunny side up
- 6 thin slices good quality ham
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F. Place two medium-size cast-iron skillets (or one large skillet) in oven to heat while preparing batter.
- 2 Combine eggs, milk and flour in bowl and whisk (or beat in a blender or electric mixer) until completely smooth. Add Parmesan cheese, green onions, parsley, thyme, salt and black pepper; lightly whisk to blend.
- 3 Add 2 tablespoons butter to each hot skillet and swirl until butter is foamy. Pour egg mixture evenly into hot skillets. Immediately transfer to oven. Bake for 20 minutes, or until puffed and lightly golden.
- 4 While Dutch babies are baking; cook eggs in 1 tablespoon butter to desired doneness. Grill ham slices in 1 tablespoon butter over high heat briefly to brown.
- 5 Top each Dutch baby with 3 slices ham, 1 egg and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Heat briefly to melt cheese. Slice each into wedges; serve warm.