Recipe and photo courtesy of the American Lamb Board.
- 4 American Lamb chops (loin, rib, sirloin or shoulder)
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup ruby red port*
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chipotle peppers in adobo, canned, drained, minced
- To taste salt
- 1 In a medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat, cook onion in butter for about 2 minutes. Add port and stir; simmer until liquid is reduced by 1/3.
- 2 Stir in dried cherries, chicken stock, honey and thyme; simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3 Thicken sauce by mixing 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and whisking into simmering mixture. Add chipotle peppers and salt.
- 4 For 1-inch chops, broil, grill or pan-fry chops over medium heat for approximately 4-6 minutes per side or until desired doneness. Spoon warmed sauce over chops.
- 5 *1/2 cup of alcohol-free red cooking wine and 1 tablespoon sugar may be substituted.