Take advantage of seasonal blackberries with this easy to prepare refrigerator jam!
We added aromatic roasted cinnamon and a pinch of fresh-ground black pepper to our jam, but it is just as delicious made simply with sweet ripe berries and sugar.
Store the jam in sterilized jars in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
- 1 quart fresh blackberries (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground roasted cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Combine blackberries and sugar in a nonreactive saucepan; rough-mash berries and stir to release juices. Add cornstarch and stir until fully blended.
- 2 Bring berry mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until jam is thickened (do not overcook- jam with get thicker when cooled). Remove from heat.
- 3 Add cinnamon and black pepper and stir to blend. Ladle into jars, cover and refrigerate.