Remember how exciting Halloween night was as a kid? Putting on your costume, eating sloppy joe sandwiches your mom made, and then heading out the door to go trick or treating!
We’ve updated this nostalgic memory with a bold delicious homemade sloppy joe filling, served on slider rolls. But don’t worry—we kept it spooky with green olive eyes and jack-o-lantern pumpkins.
Want to skip the bread? The sloppy joe filling also tastes great in Jack-o-Lantern carved orange bell peppers from which you can make spooky Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers.
Click below to find more spooky Halloween recipes:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, fine chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 soft slider rolls
- 24 small toothpicks
- 24 pimiento stuffed green olives
- 1 Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet; add onions and cook over medium-low heat until softened. Add ground beef and cook until browned, stirring frequently.
- 2 Add ketchup, brown sugar, water, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and seasonings; stir to blend. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Spoon sloppy joe filling evenly on bottom halves of slider rolls, close with top halves of buns and decorate your spooky sliders with olives threaded on toothpicks.