This delicious tart recipe features tender asparagus, Gruyere cheese and rich egg custard baked golden and puffed in a flaky tart crust. Serve as an appetizer cut into small squares or as an impressive side dish for the Easter buffet table.
This recipe is part of our Whimsical Easter Gathering series. Find other great recipes for an Easter buffet at that link.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 1 cup sharp Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, blanched, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Lightly spray 14 x 4-inch rectangle tart pan (with removable bottom) with cooking spray; arrange on baking sheet.
- 3 Combine flour and salt in food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade.
- 4 Slowly add butter and process until mixture resembled coarse meal.
- 5 Add egg yolk and water; process until mixture forms into a ball-shape.
- 6 Cover and chill dough for 5 minutes.
- 7 Roll dough into a 16-by-6-inch rectangle shape; press into pan and trim top edges with a rolling pin.
- 8 Chill for 30 minutes.
- 9 Bake crust for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- 10 In bowl, combine eggs, half & half, cheese, nutmeg and salt and whisk to blend; spoon into crust.
- 11 Arrange asparagus in tart pan over filling.
- 12 Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until light golden and puffed on top.
- 13 Cool slightly and carefully remove from tart pan before slicing.