Put the power of ancient grains to work for your breakfast with this recipe for Steel Cut Oatmeal with Ancient Grains, Fruit and Nuts.
We love the nutty flavor of these slow-cooked steel cut oats in the morning, with quinoa and golden flax, topped with toasted nuts, berries, and honey.
But, in all honesty, most of us just don’t have the time to prepare breakfast on busy weekdays. Luckily, this nutritious oatmeal can be made ahead and reheated without changing the oatmeal’s texture!
Simply add your favorite topping and enjoy your smart breakfast choice.
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup organic tri-colored quinoa
- 2 tablespoons golden flax seeds, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepitas, as needed
- Toasted walnut pieces, as needed
- Raw almonds, as needed
- Blueberries and blackberries, as needed
- Honey, as needed
- Almond milk, as needed
- 1 In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add oats, quinoa, flax and salt; stir to blend.
- 2 Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until water is absorbed and grains are tender.
- 3 Serve topped with fresh berries, nuts, honey and almond milk.
- 4 If making ahead, cover and chill oatmeal. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave, adding water or almond milk as needed, to desired creaminess. Serve warm topped with fruit, nuts and honey.