Summer was made for grilling. Actually, it’s turned into a year-round activity, but it’s especially sweet when the weather is warmer outside. This recipe for Teriyaki Grilled Skewers is a perfect appetizer or entree when you’re grilling for friends or family. Not only are they full of flavor, they’re beautiful as well.
Recipe and photo shared by the National Onion Association.
Protein Substitution: If preferred, omit shrimp and use 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cutting into 36 cubes and using 2 per skewer.
Alternate Broiler Method: If preferred, place kabobs in broiler pan coated with nonstick cooking spray and broil 3-inches from heat about 10-15 minutes or until done, basting and turning as needed.
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup prepared mango chutney, chopped if coarse
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 18 (1/2-3/4 pound) medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 18 large bamboo skewers, about 12-inches long
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 mangos, firm, ripe, peeled, pitted and cut into large cubes
- 1 large green pepper, halved, trimmed, seeded and cubed
- As needed non-stick cooking spray
- Ginger Mango Sauce (recipe below)
- Optional watercress
Ginger Mango Dipping Sauce
- 1 mango, halved, pitted and scooped out of skin (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Cut chicken into 1-1/2 to 2-inch cubes (yields about 18).
- 2 For marinade, combine oil, chutney, teriyaki sauce and vinegar. Set aside half to use for basting.
- 3 Place chicken and shrimp in wide, shallow glass dish or pan. Pour remaining marinade mixture over, then cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 3 hours or overnight.
- 4 Soak bamboo skewers in water at least 1 hour before using.
- 5 Peel onions and trim off both ends. Cut each onion into six wedges, approximately 1/2-inch wide. Separate the wedges into double layers.
- 6 To prepare kabobs, alternate chicken, onions, mango, green pepper, and shrimp onto soaked skewers, keeping them near the pointed end of each skewer, leaving a long “handle” of skewer open.
- 7 Coat the grill grate with nonstick cooking spray. Place skewers over medium coals for 15-20 minutes. Brush often with remaining marinade mixture and turn skewers until cooked through. If needed, use spatula to gently loosen skewers before turning as they may stick.
For the Ginger Mango Dipping Sauce
- 1 Combine pulp from mango with all other ingredients and with an electric blender puree until smooth. Makes about 1 cup.