Welcome to Day 2 of our 13 Days of Christmas Cookies. Today it’s Holiday Jam Sensations from our Publisher, Kay Logsdon. I have to say, these didn’t last very long at the office – and since I was taking the photo, I’m copping to eating at least 4 while doing that. You can find Day 1 here. – Editor
“Winter is a great time to curl up with jam on toast, biscuits, just about anything—including these cookies! These are so easy, you can put on a Hallmark Christmas movie, throw the ingredients together all in one bowl, form into balls, fill with jam, and bake. Just like that, you have a treat to eat as you sit down and watch the end of the movie with a cup of coffee, hot tea, or hot chocolate!
This recipe gives us a chance to showcase some of our favorite jams. We used Blackberry Preserves from laMadeleine, Cherry Preserves made by Silver Dollar City, Southwestern Cranberry Chipotle Preserves from Country Living’s Heritage collection—because why not spice up a holiday flavor—plus a true ‘tis the season jam: Trader Joe’s Sugar Plum Jam. Use any jam you like. The cookies will just make it that much better.”
Foodie Byte: You can make these like traditional “thumbprint” cookies by just pressing your thumb in the middle, leaving the cracked edges for a rustic look. We like to make sure we have jam in every bite, though, so we shape a deep “well” for the jam. Your choice!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almonds, finely chopped (measure after chopping)
- 1/2 to 1 cup jam of choice
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Using an electric mixer/stand mixer, cream together butter and powdered sugar.
- 3 Mix in vanilla, flour 1/2 cup at a time, and salt.
- 4 Stir in chopped almonds.
- 5 Shape dough into one-inch balls. Place on parchment paper on cookie sheet or un-greased cookie sheet.
- 6 Press your thumb to create an indentation in each cookie.
- 7 Fill each indentation with your jam of choice (1/2-1 teaspoon per cookie, depending on size).
- 8 Bake about 15 minutes, or until bottom of the cookies are golden brown.