Welcome to Day 3 of our 13 Days of Christmas Cookies. Today it’s Rosemary, Tarragon & Thyme Savories, again made by our Publisher, Kay Logsdon. She loves to bake and we love her for it. It’s one of my favorite things about the holiday season at The Food Channel. On any given day, she brings in the fruit of her labors, having baked for most of the weekend. These Rosemary, Tarragon & Thyme Savories are full of savory flavor and make a beautiful addition to your holiday table. -Editor
“Sometimes you’ve had enough chocolate (did I just say that?). Enough peppermint. Enough gingerbread and all the other great holiday flavors. Sometimes you just want a simple, savory cookie. Well, here’s one that will make your house smell fabulous and meet your need for ‘simple’ in every way. It has three dried spices that go beautifully together, and give you the convenience that comes from ‘I already have those in the cupboard!'”
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, packed down
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed slightly after measuring
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 Do not preheat oven—these cookies need to be refrigerated at least an hour before baking.
- 2 These mix up easily in a stand mixer. Just set it on low as you mix things together and give them time.
- 3 Tear off two sheets of parchment paper and set aside—they will be used to roll the dough for refrigeration.
- 4 Mix the butter and powdered sugar together until creamy.
- 5 Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat until smooth.
- 6 Add spices and salt, mixing well.
- 7 Turn dough out onto parchment paper, shaping the dough into two round logs, and refrigerate the two rolls at least an hour (overnight works—just be sure to twist the ends closed and secure with tape if needed).
- 8 When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 9 Take prepared dough out of refrigerator and cut it into slices, about 1/4-inch in width. Place on an un-greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- 10 Bake for 14-20 minutes or until the bottom shows signs of browning.