Wedding Cake Pops Recipe – These charming mini two-tiered wedding cake pops are made of crumbled cake mixed with frosting, that are then hand dipped in white chocolate and finished with white sparkling sugar.. They make wonderful bite-size desserts for the contemporary wedding reception.
Why Try? This is a hot dessert trend and is much easier to make than you might think.
Foodie Byte: The cake balls will turn out lumpy if the cake is not crumbled very fine. Wash and completely dry your hands periodically so the cake pops are easier to roll.
Cake pops are a popular choice at weddings these days–see our Dessert Trends 2011 story.
- 9x13 chocolate cake, baked according to package directions, cool
- 16 ounces ready-made frosting
- 32 ounces white chocolate candy melts
- 1 cup white sparkling sugar
- 1 Cut your baked cake into 4 equal sections. Remove a section from the pan, break it in half, and rub the two pieces together over a large bowl, make sure to crumble any large pieces that fall off.
- 2 Repeat each section until the entire cake is crumbled into a fine texture. You should not see any large pieces of cake.
- 3 Mix frosting into the crumbled cake, using the back of a large spoon, until thoroughly combined.
- 4 The mixture should be moist enough to roll into 1 ounce balls and still hold a round shape.
- 5 After rolling the cake balls by hand, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- 6 Cover with plastic wrap and chill for several hours or place in the freezer for 15 minutes. You will want the ball firm but not frozen.
- 7 Make the tiers for the cake by flattening the cake ball, then cut the largest shape first. Re-roll the ball, flatten and cut out the next tier. Repeat for the remaining cake balls.
- 8 Melt white chocolate candy melts in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water.
- 9 Dip the bases of the top section in the melted candy melt and stack two sections on top of each other to create a tiered effect.
- 10 Dip 3/4-inch of a lollipop stick into the candy melts and insert it three-quarters of the way through the cake, so that both tiers are attached.
- 11 Dip the entire pop into the candy melts and sprinkle on white sparkling sugar.
- 12 Refrigerate.