This is such an incredibly easy and delicious way to serve fresh tomatoes! Not having to cook the sauce saves time and keeps you away from the stove on hot summer days. It can also be served cold as a pasta salad to accompany grilled chicken or fish. The sauce is also an excellent topping for brochette, cheese omelets and chicken cutlets. I usually double the recipe so I have it on hand in the fridge for the next couple of days.
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
- 6 large or 12 small basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 12 ounces angel hair pasta
- Fresh Grated Parmesan to pass at the table
- 1 Cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze to remove the seeds then chop into small pieces.
- 2 Finely mince garlic and combine with the tomatoes.
- 3 Stack and roll the basil leaves then thinly slice and add to the tomatoes.
- 4 Give a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- 5 Combine the olive oil with the tomato mixture. Add more oil if the tomatoes are not covered with oil.
- 6 Set aside at room temperature while you bring salted water to boil and cook your pasta.
- 7 Drain pasta when cooked to al dente and transfer to serving bowl.
- 8 Spoon sauce over pasta and toss together.
- 9 Serve with fresh grated Parmesan.