Brought to us by Holly Clegg‘s Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Tips cookbook, this savory bread pudding is not only healthy but also delightfully savory in taste! Made with fresh mushrooms, spinach, onion, and garlic, this dish is a fantastic source of vitamins and minerals to help you get through those long mornings.
Terrific Tip: You can substitute 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry for fresh spinach if desired. Adjust the mushrooms and onions to your taste buds, they add great nutrition.
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
For more recipes and videos from Rush Hour Recipes, click here!
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Half loaf French or Italian bread, cut into slices, divided
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 9x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2 In large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté mushrooms, onion, and garlic until tender. Add spinach, stirring until wilted, and add flour, stirring to mix well. Season to taste; set aside. Place half bread slices in prepared dish.
- 3 Spread spinach mixture over bread and sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Top with remaining bread and remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- 4 In a bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, and mustard. Pour egg mixture evenly over the casserole, refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- 5 Bake at 350°F 40-50 minutes or until puffed and golden.