Brown Butter Cookies Recipe – Brown Butter Cookies are a miracle of chemistry: You have used all these ingredients to make cookies before, but melting and browning the butter prior to incorporating it brings out a whole different spectrum of complexity. Vanilla sugar ensures that the irresistible aroma wafts to every corner of the house once they are in the oven.
- 1 cup butter (I used salted)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar (I used 1 tablespoon fine sugar with 1 teaspoon pure Madagascar vanilla extract added)
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Blanched almonds halves or sliced almonds to decorate
- 1 In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter on low heat, stirring occasionally, until browned. Stir in sugar and vanilla sugar and remove from heat. Let cool.
- 2 Combine flour and baking powder and beat in cooled butter mixture to form a smooth dough.
- 3 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Roll small balls of dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- 4 Place dough balls about an inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press each ball of dough down using the tines of a fork. Top with half of a blanched almond or an almond slice. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until edges just start to turn golden. Remove from baking sheet after 1 minutes and let cool on wire racks.