Grilling the cut side of the hoagie rolls gives these Panini a marvelous double crispness. The addition of tangy pesto takes a simple tomato mozzarella sandwich to new flavor heights that will be a guaranteed hit with your family and guests.
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 tablespoons for brushing on the hoagie rolls
- 4 hoagie rolls sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- 8 ounces Mozzarella sliced
- 1 Pulse together the basil, pine nuts, garlic and parmesan. You do not want the blender to get hot and semi cook the pesto so do not leave the blender running; pulse instead.
- 2 Add the olive oil and continue to pulse blend until smooth.
- 3 Brush the cut sides of the hoagie rolls with olive oil.
- 4 In a hot grill pan toast the cut sides until just lightly browned.
- 5 Spread the pesto on the cut sides of the toasted hoagie rolls.
- 6 Top with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella.
- 7 Close the sandwiches and grill on both sides or in a Panini pan until the cheese melts.