Creepy. Crawly. Enough said – these Caramel Walnut Spiders are the perfect Halloween treat.
Recipe courtesy of California Walnuts, created by Rebecca Peizer.
- 5 Licorice laces, black
- 12 Caramels, soft
- 12 California wanut halves
- 1 Using a knife or scissors, cut licorice into 1-inch pieces. You will need 8 per spider for a total of 96 pieces. For a more realistic look, cut pieces diagonally to form a pointed end.
- 2 Preheat oven to 350F.
- 3 On a parchment lined baking sheet, place 6 caramels evenly spaced apart with one walnut half on top of each caramel. Bake in oven for 3 minutes to slightly melt caramel. Working quickly, push 8 licorice into sides of one caramel to form the legs of the spider. Repeat steps with remaining caramels and walnuts. Let cool.
- 4 Meanwhile, melt chocolate in the microwave on high for three 30-second increments, stirring in between or on a double boiler, then spoon or pipe about 1 teaspoon of chocolate over the walnuts. Sprinkle chocolate with black sprinkles and let set.
- 5 Note: These can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container for up to a week.