Sweetened with crushed pineapple and spices, this sunny fall jam tastes just like carrot cake. It makes a perfect gift for any occasion.
Tip: Turn this delicious jam into a conserve by stirring in 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts immediately after completing the 1-minute boil. Stir thoroughly and remove from heat.
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cored peeled pears
- 1 3/4 cups canned pineapple, including juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 package regular powdered fruit pectin (1.75 oz.)
- 6 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Prepare canner, jars and lids.
- 2 In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, combine carrots, pears, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in pectin until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boild hard, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- 3 Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/3 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot jam. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- 4 Place jars in canner,ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.