A surprisingly great breakfast, lunch or dinner, this recipe is only as spicy as you want it to be!
This meal is so cheesy, so smoky and so delicious, it would be a perfect vehicle for the addition of other cooked vegetables as another layer of delicious flavor to your meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic in oil
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 6 oz smoked ham, diced
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 (4 oz) cans chilies in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- 3-4 cans green chilies, drained and halved
- 1 In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add minced onion and garlic. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until softened.
- 2 Transfer to a bowl along with rice, ham, and eggs, stirring well to combine; set aside.
- 3 Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Blend chopped tomatoes with juice, red pepper flakes, chili powder and chilies in adobo sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- 4 Spread half of tomato mixture on the bottom of an 8-inch square pan. Top with half the rice mixture and then all of the shredded cheese.
- 5 Add remainder of tomato mixture, the remainder of rice mixture, green chilies and ending with Provolone cheese.
- 6 Bake 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown on top.
- 7 Remove from oven, cool slightly before cutting and serving.