This easy breakfast bread gets a hit of flavor from almond extract, while dried cherries lend a pleasant tartness.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
Recipe courtesy of The Invisible Chef
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Preheat an oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan.
- 2 In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the cherries and toss to distribute evenly.
- 3 In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, butter and almond extract. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Do not overmix.
- 4 Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top of the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Turn the loaf out onto the rack and let cool completely before serving.
- 5 Makes 1 loaf.