Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle Tart Recipe – Decorating options are many. Either create a lattice effect with sieved cocoa butter and whole hazelnuts or zig zags of white and/or milk chocolate or completely cover the top with chocolate curls or shavings. This is a wonderful do-ahead dessert in that it can be made 2-3 days ahead.
Tip: When making such a decadent dessert use only the best ingredients. Scharffen Berger bittersweet chocolate rivals the finest European chocolate with its distinctive fruity taste and multiple layers of flavors. It is excellent for baking, making candies and truffles, and for eating on its own.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
- FOR CRUST: 2 1/2 ounces toasted, husked hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, chilled, cut up into pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FOR FILLING: 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces imported bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Frangelico liqueur
- Whole hazelnuts, chocolate or cocoa powder, for garnish
- 1 FOR CRUST: Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2 Finely grind nuts in food processor (2/3 cup). Add flour and sugar. Pulse to combine. Distribute butter over flour mixture. Pulse until coarse meal forms, about 8 pulses. Add vanilla and pulse until moist clumps form, about 12 long pulses. Gather dough into ball and flatten.
- 3 Press dough into 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom to form 1/4-inch-thick crust. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4 Line with foil and pie weights. Bake until dough is set about 15 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights. Bake until dry and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- 5 FOR FILLING: Place cream and butter in medium saucepan.
- 6 Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Let cool 15 minutes. Stir in Frangelico. Pour into prepared crust. Chill overnight. Cover when set.
- 7 Sift over cocoa powder and garnish with 12 whole hazelnuts.