Hot-from-the-oven scones flavored with moist tangy-sweet bits of dried cranberries and toasted walnuts accented with a hint of orange make a delicious breakfast or brunch pastry or afternoon snack served with coffee or tea. If you are new to zesting, check out our Kitchen Lingo demonstration!
Why Try? This impressive gift makes a great last minute gift with standard pantry items you probably have in your cupboard. Dry biscuit mix, nuts and packaged sweetened dried fruit make it quick and easy to put this ‘from the heart’ gift together. Be sure to include a copy of recipe directions with your gift.
- 2 1/2 cups biscuit baking mix, dry
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, fresh
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Flour, as needed
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2 Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix.
- 3 Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 2 to 3 times.
- 4 Pat the dough into an 8-inch round on cookie sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- 5 Cut into 8 wedges; brush top of dough lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- 6 Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- 7 Serve warm.