Croque Madame Recipe. A Croque Monsieur is a hot ham and cheese grilled sandwich. When it’s served with a fried egg on top, it’s called a Croque Madame.
Croque, Gruyere Cheese, Ham, White Bread
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 912 Fat, Total: 60g Carbohydrates, Total: 39g
Cholesterol: 211mg Sodium: 1979mg Protein: 56g
Fiber: 4g % Cal. from Fat: 59% % Cal. from Carbs: 17%
Cooking.com Tip: A traditional croque monsieur sandwich is usually dipped into eggs then cooked in sandwich-grilling iron that has scalloped-shaped indentations. Our sandwich maker allows you to enjoy this decadent sandwich.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices fresh country white bread
- 1 pound Gruyere cheese, sliced 1/16 inch thick (approximately 24 slices)
- 12 ounces thinly sliced ham (approximately 16 slices)
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 1 FOR SANDWICHES: Spread 1/2 tablespoon butter over one side of each bread slice. Place 4 bread slices on work surface, buttered side down. Divide half of cheese among bread slices. Place ham slices atop cheese, dividing evenly. Top with remaining cheese. Top sandwiches with remaining 4 bread slices, buttered side up.
- 2 Heat griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat. If using a griddle, cook sandwiches until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. If using a cast iron skillet, cook sandwiches until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn sandwiches over, then place skillet in 400 degrees F. oven, until golden brown on bottom and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- 3 TO PREPARE EGGS: Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook two eggs sunny side up. Turn eggs over and cook 3 minutes longer for soft-cooked eggs, or 5 minutes longer for hard-cooked eggs. Remove eggs from skillet and separate cooked eggs. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 2 eggs.
- 4 Place one fried egg atop each sandwich. Season egg to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sandwich immediately.