This breakfast recipe is great for a casual brunch or weekend family breakfast. The recipe was created by Linda Bibbo, of Chagrin Falls, Ohio, who was a finalist in the 44th Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest (2010).
Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury
Read our feature story to learn how you can enter your recipe in the 45th Pillsbury Bake-Off.
- 1/2 cup Unsalted or Salted Butter, melted
- 2 cans (13.9 ounces each) Pillsbury refrigerated orange flavor sweet
- rolls with icing (8 rolls each)
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling with more fruit
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)
- 1/2 cup Pillsbury BEST All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Fisher Chef’s Naturals Natural Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 cup Smucker’s Sweet Orange Marmalade
- 1 1/2 cups frozen (thawed) whipped topping, if desired
- 1 Heat oven to 375°F. Pour 1/4 cup of the melted butter into ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Separate dough into 16 rolls; set icing aside. Cut each roll into 6 pieces; arrange pieces on butter in baking dish.
- 2 Pour pie filling into medium bowl. Cut apples into small pieces with clean kitchen scissors or knife; spoon filling over roll pieces.
- 3 In large bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1 teaspoon of the orange peel and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg and sour cream until well blended. Spoon over apple layer; spread to cover.
- 4 In small bowl, mix remaining 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar, cheese and flour until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle mixture over cream cheese layer.
- 5 Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until set and topping is golden brown. Cool on cooling rack 20 minutes.
- 6 In small microwavable bowl, mix contents of 2 icing containers, remaining 1 teaspoon orange peel and marmalade. Microwave uncovered on High 40 seconds; stir.
- 7 For 12 servings, cut apple bake into 4 rows by 3 rows. Serve with sauce on the side. Garnish each serving with 2 tablespoons whipped topping.