Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Rolled food used to be oh-so popular. Instead of rolling up cold cuts and cheeses, try this vegetable dish that is both great looking and can be made ahead.
Nutrition Facts per Serving:
Calories: 47 Fat, Total: 3g Carbohydrates, Total: 6g
Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 6mg Protein: 1g
Fiber: 2g % Cal. from Fat: 57% % Cal. from Carbs: 51%
- 1 large (about 1-1/4 pounds), long (about 10-inches) eggplant, cut lengthwise into twelve 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons plus additional extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tomato, seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- Fresh cilantro and mint sprigs
- 1 Line 2 large baking pans with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices lightly with salt. Place eggplant on paper towels and let stand until salt draws out water, about 1 hour. Rinse off salt and pat sliced dry.
- 2 Preheat broiler or grill. Brush eggplant slices with olive oil. Grill or broil until just golden on both sides and tender, turning once, about 8 minutes. Cool.
- 3 Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add carrot and sauté until almost tender, about 2 minutes. Toss in zucchini, bell pepper and cumin and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- 4 Remove from heat and stir in tomato, cilantro and mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool.
- 5 Place eggplant slices on work surface. Divide vegetable mixture among slices, placing vegetables at narrow end of eggplant slices. Roll up eggplant with colorful vegetables peaking out on each end.
- 6 Transfer to platter, seam side down. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.) Garnish platter with cilantro and mint and serve.