- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large bell peppers, stem, ribs and seeds removed and discarded; flesh diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; more to taste
- generous pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups simmering low-sodium vegetable stock; more if needed
- light sour cream for garnish
- 4 small sprigs fresh dill
- 1 In a heavy stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the peppers, potato, onion, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Remove from heat.
- 2 Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree in batches, or puree thoroughly with a hand immersion blender. Force the pulp through a coarse sieve or a food mill. Transfer to a saucepan and stir in the vegetable or chicken stock, adding a bit more if you like a thinner soup. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- 3 Serve warm or cold, garnished with a dab of sour cream and a sprig of dill.