Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
This is an updated version of the colonial pudding-textured fruit dessert. Here, layers of spiced peaches are baked with ginger-pecan crumbs.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 295 Fat, Total: 13g Carbohydrates, Total: 45g
Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 120mg Protein: 3g
Fiber: 4g % Cal. from Fat: 40% % Cal. from Carbs: 61%
Cooking.com Tip: Crystallized ginger is on the hot list of ingredients used in today’s culinary scene. From Italian biscotti to American gingerbread, adding crystallized ginger imparts renewed flavor and is a star ingredient in this delicious old-fashioned dessert.
- FOR THE FILLING: 5 cups sliced pitted peeled ripe peaches
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- FOR THE CRUST: 2 cups purchased gingersnap cookies
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- Whipped Cream or vanilla ice cream
- 1 FOR THE FILLING: Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2 Butter 9-inch deep dish pie dish. Combine peaches, 1/3 cup brown sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and ginger in medium bowl. Stir gently. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- 3 FOR THE CRUST: Meanwhile, process gingersnap cookies in processor until finely ground. Add butter and remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix pecans, oats and ginger into crumb mixture.
- 4 TO ASSEMBLE: Sprinkle 3 tablespoons crumb mixture over bottom of prepared dish. Spoon half of peach mixture over crumbs. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of crumbs over peach mixture. Top with remaining peach mixture then sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- 5 Bake until peaches bubble thickly in center, about 1 hour. Cool slightly and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.