Why Try? This grilled and stuffed steak creation tastes amazing and is not that hard to do. Grab some twine and tie one on this summer!
Foodie Byte: When tying the steak, start at the outsides and work your way towards the middle.
View step-by-step photos at right to see how it all comes together.
Copyright 2011. The Food Channel®. All Rights Reserved. For permission to use in a printed cookbook or commercial website, please contact Editor.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 2 – 12 ounce jars roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 10 thin slices prosciutto
- 24 medium-sized basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 For the marinade: combine all ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- 2 Butterfly flank steak. With one of the long sides not short sides, facing you, run knife through middle thickness leaving ½-inch at the long opposite end as a “hinge.” Do not cut all the way through.
- 3 Place steak in 9 x 13 pan, exposing all cut sides, and marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- 4 (Next day) Heat grill to medium heat.
- 5 Lay steak open. Place 4 pepper halves on steak to cover completely. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parsley.
- 6 Cover with prosciutto slices, basil leaves and sprinkle with Parmesan along with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley and pepper.
- 7 Roll up from a long side jellyroll style. Tie at 2-3 inch intervals with kitchen string.
- 8 Place steak on grill, cooking until desired doneness or until internal temperature reaches 145°F, turning frequently.
- 9 Transfer steak to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 10 Remove twine and slice steak, crosswise, into ½-inch thick slices.
- 11 OVEN BRAISED FLANK STEAK:
- 12 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 13 Prepare flank steak per directions through step 7.
- 14 Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic cloves, parsley and black pepper in shallow baking dish.
- 15 Bake 15 minutes; baste with juices and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- 16 Let meat rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.